Friday, August 24, 2012

2012 Summertime Challenge! Week 5: Feelin' Hot Hot Hot!

Hello all! Today's challenge is HOT HOT HOT! Summertime always brings warm weather, especially in Arizona where the weather is well past 100 degrees! Standing outside for a few minutes can make you feel like you are about to combust and melt down into a puddle simultaneously! I've had many days were I felt like my skin was on fire from the heat and that's the inspiration for today's design.


Have you ever been so hot that you felt like your skin was on fire? It sure isn't pleasant! So this week's challenge was to show heat on your nails. I went with flames and a thermometer with the temperature all the way up! I'm happy with the way this design came out, I used a new technique too. I made flame "stickers." The night before I painted my nails, I created flames on a Ziploc bag. I used three nail polishes and a toothpick to marble and create the flames. I allowed the flames to dry overnight and once dry, the "stickers" easily peeled on the plastic baggy. 


I then placed the stickers onto my tacky nails. By tacky, I mean my nails weren't completely dry yet. The tacky texture allowed the flames to stuck to my nails. Next, I carefully used scissors to cut off the remainder of the stickers that didn't fit on my nails. Finally, I painted on a layer of top coat.


I should also mention that under the flames, I painted my nails two layers of OPI's Skull and Glossbones, then used a piece of saran wrap that I balled up to add on some black nail polish. I was attempting to make smoke but it doesn't really look like smoke. Oh well, I still think the nails came out looking pretty good. 


What I used:
  • Base coat: OPI Skull and Glossbones
  • Black for smoke effect: Sinful Colors Black on Black
  • Flames: Ulta Non-stop red, Sally Hansen Sun kissed and Sally Hansen Mellow Yellow
  • Thermometer: White and red acrylic paint
  • Balled up saran wrap or plastic wrap (for the black smoke) 
  • Small nail art brush


I'm excited for next week's challenge, since it's about food! I'm thinking of making a skittle mani since I love so many different things. Though I must admit, when I was thinking up this challenge I had one thing in mind, so we will see... Here's a reminder of next week's challenge.

Week 6: Favorite summer snack--- What is something you love to eat during the summer? Think treats that cool you off or things only available during the summer months.

Until next time,
PeaceErin 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from my awesome readers! I value each and every comment, so leave me with your thoughts! Much appreciation and thanks! I will reply to all comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...